Louis CK’s new special helped me cope with marathon bombings
Like most people, I lost 4-5 hours in front of the TV watching the horror in Boston unfold. I live an hour and a half outside the city, have lived there in the past, visited friends on dozens of occasions. I’ve spent Marathon Mondays half-drunk and cheering on runners from an apartment window. I was raised on Boston sports and dearly love the place.
I was just 15 when 9/11 happened. I remember thinking things with my friends like, “Oh now the world is going to be like ‘Mad Max’” or that we were going to be drafted when we turned 18.
Many have compared what happened Monday to 9/11 — right or wrong. But to me, this was worse. I am more plugged into the world then I was. Twitter wasn’t a thing when I was 15. The 24/7 news cycle, not as bad. I also had little concept of evil or suffering, being a teen in a small town.
So this fucked 27-year-old me up.
That night, among friends who hold Boston as dear as I do, we needed something, anything to get us away from the stream of updates, facts and misinformation floating around. Something that wasn’t detached limbs or bloodied faces.
Louis C.K.’s new special “Oh My God” aired recently, and is rotating on HBO. We turned it on.
With Boston ties himself it seemed even more appropriate we watch it. But beyond that (and the fact that he’s going to be our generation’s comedian), we came to find out his hour-long set dealt with a lot of what we were feeling.
And fuck did it feel good to laugh about that stuff.
Death, horrible thoughts, the frailty of existence, how great the world can be, happiness, Louis touched on it all. There’s no candle-lit vigil for a guy who dies at 45, he muses. When he mentioned Boston and other touchstones we could relate to, everything awful from the day just washed away.
The next day, it was back to reality. To the who-did-its and the new death tolls.
But for an hour, we could forget what had happened.
- elysedc reblogged this from comedynerdsunited
- maria-hipster likes this
- jeffthedragonwizard likes this
- thenakedbiker reblogged this from comedynerdsunited
- shiteveryusernameistaken likes this
- alexak92 likes this
- iamnotthefatcat likes this
- funtimekait reblogged this from comedynerdsunited
- somuchfunithurts likes this
- rowenny likes this
- katiedora7 likes this
- necromanticcomedy reblogged this from comedynerdsunited
- gabbysanza likes this
- jacgusto likes this
- mrgreendidit likes this
- ruthie81 likes this
- batshitbatshit likes this
- pacoveli likes this
- sabrinabobina likes this
- edgeoftheverse likes this
- swimmingupthemountain likes this
- indolentry likes this
- tygrrr likes this
- prettylittlestarvingartist likes this
- thatisawesome likes this
- merrymorg likes this
- m30wmeowm30w reblogged this from comedynerdsunited
- heisenbarry reblogged this from comedynerdsunited
- iluvdancing12 likes this
- jesusvsbrendanfraser likes this
- highlerium likes this
- elysedc likes this
- sloppyvirginloser likes this
- kevinvachna likes this
- therewillbemike likes this
- wonderfloniumbouncer likes this
- parttruthpartgarbage reblogged this from comedynerdsunited
- tawdry-hepburn likes this
- pinkbunnu likes this
- elementarilynaive likes this
- spoopychaser likes this
- comedydad likes this
- yamsyamsyams likes this
- comedynerdsunited posted this